Sunday, May 11, 2008

MOPS Playhouse

Last fall, I was asked to join the Steering Committee for an evening MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group that was starting at our church. Pierre already had a daytime MOPS group at another church but were finding that mothers who worked really were not able to attend the daytime MOPS group and were needing something for them in the evening time. So, a group of 10 of us women headed up the Steering Committee to form this evening MOPS group.

I wasn't sure about committing my "extra" time to something outside of my family but since I committed, I stuck with it for the first year. I found how wonderful it really was!! I now don't think I could live without it!!

Thus, the new adventure that we started.......women, building a playhouse to raffle off to make money for MOPS!!!

A week ago, we started building a playhouse in the evenings afterwork that we will raffle off in August!! Yes, we are building a playhouse.....no men involved!!! The lumber was donated by our local lumber company (Thanks Schlacter Lumber)!! So everynight, starting at 6:30, we head to Vals house and start building until we are tired and need to go home to tend to our families!!

After the playhouse is built, we will start selling raffle tickets. The house will be in two parades this summer, displayed at Oahe Days (June 20-21-22nd) along with a booth that we will sit at for the weekend selling raffle tickets, we will also display it at a few other businesses around town until it is time to raffle it off. We are also collecting Corporate donations to go towards MOPS.

So this has been an exciting year for me!! I am excited to share with you the progress of the playhouse!!! This is our work after one week......


The most exciting part of building the playhouse is in October, 10 of us (5 from the morning MOPS and 5 from the evening MOPS group) will be attending the National MOPS Convention in Dallas, TX!!!
http://www.mops.org/page.php?pageid=560
This explains a little about the convention. Some of the fundraising money will go towards our trip to Dallas!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scott says that's pretty impressive that "just the girls" are building!