Monday, November 03, 2008

A Visit From the Tooth Fairy

Last Wednesday, we had to visit the dentist. Seneca was growing "shark teeth". These are a second row of teeth. Since her permanent teeth were growing in but not pushing her baby teeth out, it resulted in a second row of teeth (I tried to get a photo of this but the flash didn't want to cooperate in her dark, little mouth).

So we scheduled a dentist appointment. I thought they would only pull one tooth since we could only see one permanent tooth coming up but he said that the other one was starting to come up so he pulled both her front bottom teeth.

I didn't go back with her while they pulled them. I literally sat in the waiting room and was sick to my stomach. I felt so bad that I had to do this to her. I thought at one time I was going to need to find the rest room, that is how ill I was feeling. When she came out with her mouth full of gauze, the front desk lady said she did wonderful. Didn't even flinch when they gave her the shot.

Paul MADE me put a coin of some kind by the teeth to show how big the root was on the one tooth.

She did tell us later that night that the dentist just "pinched" her and then pulled her tooth. So in reality she DID feel the shot.

She was quite excited to wake up to two shiny Susan B. Anthonys the next morning. I asked her how that Tooth Fairy came without me hearing (I hear every little noise ALL the time) and she just smiled and shrugged her shoulders and off she went to deposit the coins in her piggy bank.

4 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

OMG! That is the longest tooth I've ever seen!! Wow, when they pull - they get it all!!

Campbelle's had 2 teeth came in the same way - in the second row. The dentist gave her 3 days for each one to get them out on her own and that kid wiggled them like crazy. She did it though.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

WOW!!! My Mom has been a dental assistant for literally 32 years! With her working in the dental field all these years I have gotten kind of numb to all the dental stuff. When I was little and had to go to the dentist it never seemed like that big of a deal because my Mom worked there and I knew everyone. It's pretty much the same with my kids going to the dentist now. They are actually excited to go to the dentist because their grandma is there and everyone she works with makes over them.
O.K. so getting on with why I've told you all of this. In all the years around dentistry I have never ever seen teeth like that before. That had to have hurt, numb or not. They didn't just call them shark teeth because of the two rows of teeth, they called them that because of their size as well. Poor little Seneca that hurt my stomach when I saw those things. She is a tough little gal.
She is also just a doll. I'm so glad that we have reconnected after all these years and that I can see your cute family. You are such a good mom. I'm so impressed with you! Thanks for sharing your sweet family with me. And for your friendship and example to me.
JoLynn

Clement Family said...

man, I would have cried like a baby. I always insist on the gas for everything!!!
Robyn

Sarah said...

Hey I found this on the nest today. I was looking at recipes and someone put together a blogroll of a bunch of variations on mac n cheese. I haven't looked through them but here, if you need some variety...

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/blogs/dinner/archive/2008/02/19/wc-macaroni-and-cheese-collection.aspx

:)