Monday, July 23, 2007

I think I live in South Dakota!?!

I am beginning to wonder if I live in "The Valley of the Sun" where I grew up (Arizona) or if I really do live in South Dakota. Yesterday was a high of 108 here in Pierre. Today is suppose to be much of the same along with the rest of the week. As I checked weather.com, I see that Pierre is suppose to be hotter than Mesa, AZ. What is going on?!?! I have been thinking about planting a new flower garden out back but beginning to contimplate some cacti and whether or not they will survive our winters.

Well, I have a little catching up to do since I have been extremely lazy this past week or so.

Last Wednesday, I took Seneca to the Shrine Circus over in Ft. Pierre. This was the first time I attempted the circus when they have had it in Ft. Pierre and we had a wonderful time. We arrived a little early since I was worried that we would end up too high up in the bleachers. We had went with Bria and Cale and Cale wanted to go on an elephant ride. Seneca wanted nothing to do with either the elephant ride OR the pony ride. So we watched Cale on the elephant, bought a little "lite fan" and then proceeded to find a place to sit for the show.
Lions, elephants and clowns......oh my!!! It was absolutely wonderful!! Seneca talked the ENTIRE time. Making comments on everything that was going on. During the elephant show, the trainer gave the elephant an apple for a treat and then the elephant picked up a tamborine. I asked Seneca (refering to the tamborine), "What does he have now?" She shouts out, "Energy"!! Not exactly what I meant, but she was correct! The elephant had energy after eating that apple.
Being the health nut I am, you would all be happy to hear that I bought Seneca AND I some cotton candy for a treat!! Aside from cookies, the occasional piece of candy or ice cream and other sugary treats that I am sure everyone sneaks to her, she really hasn't had anything like that before. She ate a few bites and then decided she didn't want anymore. I guess she must have learned something!! She told me later that it was too sweet.
During intermission, Seneca decided that she wanted to go on a pony ride. So, I quick got in line and got her a ticket for the pony ride. The pony ride was over and then she decided she wanted to take an elephant ride. So back to the line I went to get a ticket (she could have told me this earlier). We managed to get a ticket and go on an elephant ride. Boy was she ever grinning ear to ear!!

Despite the heat in the arena (they have no air conditioning) we had a great time. We were a little sweaty and smelly by the time we left but o-well.

Seneca also experienced her first little camping trip. OK, we didn't camp, we just went to visit Mark, Bria and Cale out at the campground just below the Oahe Dam (about 10 miles from Pierre). We stayed for about 3-4 hours with them while Seneca and Cale played and we visited. We did stay long enough to roast marshmallows and make some smores. It was fun and it actually made me want to take a little camping trip myself (yes, I checked out the bath houses, they were clean and they have camp spots right next to the bath houses). So with all that "checking" I am ready to camp down by the dam!! Sorry, didn't get any pictures.....forgot my camera.

1 comment:

jilldaisbrenne said...

The circus sounds like fun... maybe not in 90 degree weather... but fun!